Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Spinach lumps!



The other night I decided we would skip the local Mexican restaurant and I would actually cook. This resulted in a trip to Walmart with my little brother, in which I had to call Zach to ask questions like "What is pork tenderloin?... Is that pork chops? Why doesn't it just say pork chops on the package then?" and Jon Boy calling me an idiot. I had never bought meat on my own before other than chicken. Oh the joy of becoming a grown up.

I don't want to toot my own horn here, but dang they were good. Salt, pepper, skillet. That's all I did. However, the spinach lumps were definitely my favorite part of the meal. I call them spinach lumps because they started out as this recipe, but as you can see hers magically turned out perfectly round and my became, well, lumps. I also changed a ton of the original recipe, so here's mine.

Ingredients
5 large eggs
One package of stuffing mix (I used the cornbread kind, but I am sure they will be awesome with whatever.)
A whole stick of butter... yeah, a whole stick.
1 clove of garlic, minced.
8 oz of frozen spinach. I bought one of the boxes that had a pound in it and divided it in half. You can use more than this. I probably will next time.
Half an onion, chopped
As much shredded mozzarella cheese as your little heart desires. I used probably a cup and a half.
A handful of feta

Preheat your oven to 350. Then, pretend your Paula Deen and plop that whole stick of butter into a sauce pan. The original recipe called for unsalted butter and a saute pan, but this is the dirty south and we don't have time for fancy pans and we love our sodium. Put the onion and garlic in the pan and cook the butter mixture for about five minutes over medium heat, or until the onion looks transparent. When it's done, throw it in a bowl with the eggs, stuffing mix, spinach (thawed and drained, people!), and the cheeses. Mix it together. Then, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using your hands, get over how disgusting the mixture feels and make little 1 inch balls. You can't really roll them, especially since the dressing starts to get soggy from the eggs, so you just have to grab a bit and pat it into a shape resembling a ball. Pop those suckers into the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until they look slightly brown.

I know, I am completely awesome at writing out recipes. You don't have to tell me. Basically, these are super easy and really tasty. If anyone decided to make them, tell me how they turned out!

Love,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment